On Friday we discussed the kinda-sorta tradition of hammering a nail into the basketball court when an exceptional shot was made. The two instances that I have been able to confirm are Joe Hagan’s jumper in 1938 and Ralph Beard’s 52-foot shot in 1948. Coach Calipari references this tradition in the Golden Spike section of his website.
I asked you guys to name some of the most dramatic/memorable shots that has been made in the Rupp Arena. Sadly, since the post came out on a Friday, there weren’t many suggestions. Here’s a quick cut-and-paste (and not fact-checked) list of nominations (and the reader(s) who nominated):
* Tayshaun’s 5th 3-pointer against UNC (Fake Gimel)
* Jodie Meeks’ game winner against Florida this past year (gossie21)
* Gerald Fitch’s 3 against UNC in 2004 (gossie21)
* Cedric Jenkins put-back against Louisville (TheBigBooyah)
* Rondo’s 3 that sealed the deal against South Carolina (Bluegrassed & jsh2001)
* [The] drive from Hawkins against UL when he left his defender NAILED to the floor (Squirms)
* Antwain Barbour’s reverse dunk on #1 Florida in Feb 2003 (PioneerWildcat)
* Fred Cowan’s baseline buzzer beater to beat Tennessee in 1981 (1933 National Champion)
* Roger Harden demanding the ball and knocking down the jumper to beat LSU in the 1986 SEC Tournament in Rupp (1933 National Champion) — BTI, I’d love to see a video of this!
* Rex Chapman’s double clutch at the elbow to beat Ole Miss at the buzzer in 1987. (1933 National Champion)
* Richie Farmer beats Ole Miss at the buzzer in 1989. (1933 National Champion)
* Farmer’s 6 free throws to hold off LSU in 1990. (1933 National Champion)
* Tay’s left handed baby hook to beat Florida in 2001 (catlanta91)
Surely there are other memorable/amazing shots to pick from as well. Please leave your nominations in the comments. Remember that the shot must occur in a game held in Rupp Arena.